Monday, May 28, 2007

Loire Valley or the Valley of the Kings



I am in Brive now, a small city south of Tours, where I've just visited opulent, gimongous chateaux. The French aristocracy really knew how to live, although I wonder at whose expense. As I deboarded the train in the Tours Gare (station), I walked up to a kiosk and found a man only too happy to sell me two afternoon tours of the local chateaux. Since I still cannot find a place to download my photos, go on the web to find Chambord, Cheverny, Amboise and Chenonceau. In Amboise, there is a place completely dedicated to Leonardo Da Vinci...I actually took a photo of the chapel and name stone where he is buried. Amazing architecture, grounds only fit for a King or Queen.

Yesterday, I rented a car and used my daughter's GPS unit to find my way around the French countryside. Quite amazing the way the scenery is no less beautiful than all the postcards put together. The old farm houses, fortresses and rolling green hills are beyond descrition. History shouts out loud at every turn. It has definitely given me a greater sense of historical perception, especially the way we view it in the U.S. So very different than in France. We are mere babies!

There are no Internet cafes in the town I'm in, so the Hotel (Chapon Fin) manager has been kind enough to let me use the office computer for free. I have found the French quite lovely, really. Although, I'm a little surprised at the high prices of everything, yes, even a coke is about 3 dollars.

Off I go to Rocomadour and then to Provence in southern France....till then my lovelies!

2 comments:

Kate Evans said...

Hi Candice,

Reading your blog is wonderful. I'm so happy for you. You deserve this after, well, everything.

I'm with my mom right now. We're both mourning my dad a lot.

This all reminds me that to everything, there is a season...

ox Kate

Unknown said...

How WONDERFUL to have this opportunity! Thank-you for sharing Candice, I live vicariously through your writing.

Upon your return home, you have a standing invitation to a wonderful welcome home dinner with me and my household.

Ciao!
your neighbor, Bridget